Today I am SO excited to be sharing with you the Nellie Poncho Free Crochet Pattern! I designed the Nellie Poncho in the Spring of 2020 after learning a new stitch while testing for another crochet designer. The Nellie Poncho uses the N Stitch, once you get the hang of it I promise you will LOVE it too!
Below you will find a free copy of the Nellie Poncho crochet pattern.
The Nellie Poncho Free Crochet Pattern has 5 sizes to choose from, so I am sure you can crochet this for yourself or any woman/teen in your life! Also in this crochet pattern you will find picture and video tutorials on how to crochet the N Stitch and on how to sew your 2 panels together.
This Nellie Poncho can be warn in any season no matter where you are in the world. It is perfect for those chilly Spring days, those chilly Summer evenings, in the crispy Fall air, and of course in those cold Winter seasons.
This page contains affiliate links. You can make a purchase using these links that I provide where I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you.) Purchases you make will help keep my website, Etsy Shop, and my Ravelry Store going and provide quality designs just for you!
So let’s get started!
800-1200 yards #4 Worsted Weight Yarn
US Hook J or 6 mm
US Hook H or 5 mm
12 st x 12 rows = 4”
R1: FSC 12 turn
Optional: Ch 13, sc in the 2nd ch from hook and each st across. turn
R2: Ch 1, sc in the same st, sc in the next st, and hdc in the next st. NS to the last 3 stitches. Hdc in the next st and sc in the last 2 stitches.
R3: Ch 1, sc in the same st and each st across.
R4-R13: Repeat R2 & R3.
FSC = Foundation Single Crochet
CH = Chain
SC = Single Crochet
ST(S) = Stitch(es)
NS = N Stitch
SP = Space
RS = Right Side
WS = Wrong Side
The N Stitch
- Sk 1 st
- hdc in the next st
- insert hook from the top to the bottom of the front loop of the skipped stitch
- YO, pull up a loop,
- YO, pull through one loop
- YO, insert the hook back into the same st as the hdc, YO, pull up a loop,
- YO, pull through all 4 loops on hook.
Stitch count is a multiple of 2
Ch 1 does not count as a stitch
Photo Tutorials are attached to the pattern. I made them larger to show the steps of the Construction.
There are 5 Construction Steps, so please scroll down for each.
The sizes are Small (Medium, Large, XLarge and 2XLarge) consecutively
Poncho may need to be Blocked
N Stitch Right Handed Version here.
N Stitch Left Handed Version here.
Foundation Single Crochet Right Handed Version here.
Foundation Single Crochet Left Handed Version here.How to Assemble a Poncho here.
Panel 1 (make 2)
R1: FSC 100 (106, 112, 118, 124) st
Optional: chain 101 (107, 113, 119, 125), sc in 2nd chain and each st across. 100 (106, 112, 118, 124) st
R2 (RS): ch 1 and sc in same st. sc in the 2nd st, hdc in the next st and NS to the last 3 st. hdc in the next st and sc in the last 2 st.
R3 (WS): Ch 1, sc in the same st and each st across.
R4 – 43 (47, 51, 55, 59): Repeat R2 & R3
Fasten off and weave in ends.
Step 1: Place both Panels Right Side down with Wrong Side Up. Line them up a side panel along the bottom of another panel.
Step 2: Whip Stitch Together or use whichever stitch you prefer in attaching the Panels together.
Step 3: Fold Whipped Stitch Piece to Outer Edge (Top of the Panel.)
Step 4: Fold Outer Edge to Join Whipped Stitch Piece
Step 5: Whip Stitch or use whichever stitch you prefer to sew Closed.
- Cut pieces of yarn 10”-12” long
- Use 2 strands of yarn for each section of Fringe. If you want a heavier Fringe add more pieces of yarn to suit you.
- Put the ends together and create a loop that can be threaded into the edges of the Poncho. Knot pieces of Fringe onto the Poncho. This will give you 4 strands of yarn to create the Fringe.
- You can use your crochet hook to pull the loops through the edges of the Poncho and then thread the fringe through the loop. Pull tight to create your knot. Make sure to pull the loop in the same direction. This helps all of your knots to match.
Neck Border (Optional):
Switch to H or 5 mm Hook
Attach yarn in any stitch along the Neck Opening, slip stitch, chain 1 and sc in the same stitch. sc in each stitch around.
For a Smaller Neck Opening, add 2-3 more rows of Single Crochet.
When you sign up for my Newsletter you will find a Special Gift that can be used at my Ravelry Store! Coupon can not be used on Promotions. When you sign up you will be notified the next time I have a giveaway, release a new pattern or a new blog post.
You can find my crochet patterns at these locations listed below.
Find me, Jo of Jo’s Crafty Hook at any one of these places listed below!
From the Designer:
- Thank you for your interest in this crochet pattern! Check out some of my patterns at my Ravelry Store Jo’s Crafty Hook Designs or LoveCraft or Etsy Shop JosCraftyHook or at my website joscraftyhook.com! While you are at my website be sure to subscribe to my Newsletter. This way you will be notified when I release another pattern or giveaway or blog post!
- If you have any questions or concerns about this pattern or any other pattern please find me at Joey Lea Baird on Facebook or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are free to sell or gift the item, please do NOT claim this design as your own. If you share your finished product, please acknowledge me as the designer. Please forward any one who would like to do this crochet pattern or any of my patterns to the Ravelry Store or to LoveCraft or to my Etsy shop, or to my website. The web addresses for any place to connect with me are listed below.
- Every purchase of my patterns helps! It allows me to buy more yarn so I can create and design more Handmade Crocheted Creations for you to enjoy.
- I would LOVE to see your version of my designs! You can “Hook It” at my Ravelry Jo’s Crafty Hook Designs OR add a pic using the hashtag #nellieponcho or #joscraftyhook or #jo_bear38 or at anyone of the places below that allows you to connect with me! Comments, Feedback, etc. are ALWAYS welcome at my website www.joscraftyhook.com!
- If you would like to make a donation to Jo’s Crafty Hook and help me with the costs of running my website, crocheting new designs I would greatly appreciate it!