Thank you for stopping by my website, Jo’s Crafty Hook! I have some exciting news for you! My Herringbone Beanie and Cowl Set Crochet Pattern will be featured in the Winter Celebration 2020 Giveaway hosted by Angel of The Knotty Designer!
This page contains affiliate links. You can make a purchase using these links that I provide where I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you.) Purchases you make will help keep my website, Etsy Shop, and my Ravelry Store going and provide quality designs just for you!
Angel Brandon of The Knotty Designer is doing some wonderful things inside her Facebook Page The Knotty Designer! She is having a Winter Celebration 2020 Giveaway! Be sure to join us and find out more about the Winter Celebration 2020 Giveaway at Angel’s Facebook Page The Knotty Designer. Here’s what Angel has to say:
Save the dates! From December 1st to the 8th I will be hosting a holiday celebration. I will be joined by other pattern designers and we will be giving away free patterns. There will even be a giveaway too! Invite your friends to this page to join the celebration. Stay tuned!
Here is the list of the 7 designers and their designs that will be part in the Winter Celebration 2020 Giveaway December 1 – December 8, 2020. Starting December 1 – December 8, 2020 you can use the Coupon Code: CELEBRATION2020 at the Ravelry Checkout.
The Knotty Designer – Chimney Bottle Bag
Jo’s Crafty Hook – Unisex Herringbone Beanie & Cowl Set
Pine Tree Crochet – Christmas Ornament
Straight Hooked – Velvet Twirl Messy Bun Hat
Crochet Rox – Santa/Elf Ear Hat
Handmade Rose Bag – Awesome Bohemian Beanie
My Fingers Fly – Roller Skate Stocking
I hope you will join us for the Winter Celebration 2020 Giveaway being hosted by Angel Brandon of The Knotty Designer! Stop by her Facebook Page early so you don’t miss out on any of the exciting news leading up to the giveaway!
Be sure to sign up for my Newsletter. This way you will be notified directly when I have another giveaway, release a new pattern or blog post. As a Special Bonus, when you sign up for my Newsletter you will receive a Coupon that you can use at my Ravelry Store. So be sure to sign up so you don’t miss any news about Jo’s Crafty Hook.
You can find the free crochet pattern for the Herringbone Beanie & Cowl Set. If you would like to get the Ad-Free pdf copy of the crochet pattern you can find it at my Ravelry Store or LoveCraft or Etsy Shop.
In this post I want to share with you a Unisex crochet design, the Herringbone Beanie and Cowl Set.
In the Herringbone Crochet Set you will find 3 sizes to choose from: Teen, Small & Large Adult. The good thing about this crochet pattern is that it can be customized to fit your style, size, and color! The stitch count is a multiple of 6, so it you want to make a smaller or larger size, you can use the multiple of 6.
As I stated above, the Herringbone Beanie and Cowl Set Crochet Pattern is a Unisex crochet pattern. My husband and I modeled the set, so as you can see it fits men and women. You will find some wonderful versions from my testers of the set at the bottom of this post.
You can find my crochet patterns at these locations listed below.
US Hook I/5.5 mm
100-300 yards of #4 Worsted Weight Yarn
US Hook I/5.5 mm
8 HHDC x 6 Rows = 2 inch
Ch 1 does not count as a stitch
R1: Ch 9, sc in 2nd st and sc in each st across. Ch1
R2: Turn. HHDC in each st across. Ch 1
R3-6: Repeat R2
CH = Chain
SS = Slip Stitch
SC = Single Crochet
BLO = Back Loop Only
HHDC = Herringbone Half Double Crochet
SC BLO = Single Crochet in Back Loop Only
HDC2TOG = Half Double Crochet 2 Together
FHDC = Foundation Half Double Crochet
To make the HHDC stitch:
1. Yarn over, insert hook into the next stitch and pull up a loop (3 loops on hook)
2. Pull first loop straight through the second (similar to a slip stitch)
3. Yarn over, pull through two remaining loops on hook.
The stitch count is a multiple of 6 if you need a smaller or larger size.
Pattern written for: Teen, Sm Adult, Lg Adult
Be sure to count your stitches once and awhile. It is important once you start the decreasing to have the right stitch count.
If you would like to purchase the pdf copy of the crochet pattern you can find it at Ravelry or Etsy. There is an additional crochet pattern for matching fingerless gloves that you can find at my stores.
R1: Chain 11, SC in the 2nd chain and each ch across. Ch 1 and Turn. 10 SC
R2: sc in 1st st, sc in blo in the next 8 st, and sc in the last st. Ch 1 and Turn. 10 SC
R3: Repeat R2 for a total of 54 (60, 66) Rows
Join Brim: Holding both ends together without twisting, sl together through blo loop of the previous row and foundation row.
R1: Ch 1, work HHDC across the side of each row, sl in 1st HHDC st to join. Ch 1 and Turn. 54 (60, 66)
R2: HHDC in the 1st st and in each st around. Ss in 1st HHDC to join. Ch 1 and Turn. 54 (60, 66)
R3: HHDC in each remaining st around. Ss in 1st HHDC to join. Ch 1 and Turn. 54 (60, 66)
Repeat R2-R3 until hat measures 6 – 6.5” ( 6.5 – 7” or 7 – 7.5”) inches, including the Brim. Move on to Decrease Rows.
R1: Ch 1 and Turn. * HHDC in the next 6 (8,9) st, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. Ss into 1st to join. Ch 1 and Turn. 48 , 54, 60 stitches
R2: *HHDC in the next 5 (7, 8) st, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. Ss into 1st st join. Ch 1 and Turn. 40 (48, 54) st
R3: HHDC in the next 4 (6, 7) st, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. Ss into 1st st join. Ch 1 and Turn. 34 (42, 48) st
R4: HHDC in the next 3 (5, 6) st, HDC2TOG* Repeat from * to * around. Ss into 1st st join. 28 (36, 42) st Do not fasten off.
Leave a long tail of 6-10 inches for weaving the top of the hat closed. You will weave the top of the Beanie closed by using your Tapestry Needle.
You will go into the 2 loops created by the dc using the long tail you have left. You will go back and forth weaving the long tail between the 2 loops until you reach the end.
At the end you will pull the long tail tight, closing the top of the Beanie. Pull tight and go into the 1st st and create a knot, tying off the long tail.
If you are having trouble here is the YouTube Video Tutorial showing the process.
Fasten off and weave in ends.
R1: FHDC 14 (16, 18)
Optional: Chain 16 (18, 20) hdc in the 4th chain and each remaining stitch. Turn 14 (16, 18)
R2: Ch 1. HHDC in 1st st and remaining stitches across. Turn 14 (16, 18)
R3: Ch 1. HHDC in 1st st and remaining stitches across. Turn 14 (16, 18)
Body of Scarf
R4: Ch 1. HHDC in 1st st and remaining stitches across. Turn 14 (16, 18)
Repeat R4 until the scarf measures 44” ( 56”, 68”) inches or until your desired length. If you would like to leave it as a Scarf, fasten off and weave in the ends. For the Cowl, do not fasten off, move to the closing of the cowl.
Closing the Cowl
R1: Ch 1 and place HDC in each st across. 14 (16, 18)
Join Ends: Holding both ends together without twisting, slst together through blo loop of the previous row and foundation row.
Fasten off and weave in ends. You are done!
As you can see above the different versions from my wonderful testers! Thanks a bunch ladies!
You can find my crochet patterns at these locations listed below.
Find me, Jo of Jo’s Crafty Hook at any one of these places listed below!
From the Designer:
- Thank you for your interest in this crochet pattern! Check out some of my patterns at my Ravelry Store Jo’s Crafty Hook Designs or LoveCraft or Etsy Shop JosCraftyHook or at my website joscraftyhook.com! While you are at my website be sure to subscribe to my Newsletter. This way you will be notified when I release another pattern or giveaway or blog post!
- If you have any questions or concerns about this pattern or any other pattern please find me at Joey Lea Baird on Facebook or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are free to sell or gift the item, please do NOT claim this design as your own. If you share your finished product, please acknowledge me as the designer. Please forward any one who would like to do this crochet pattern or any of my patterns to the Ravelry Store or to LoveCraft or to my Etsy shop, or to my website. The web addresses for any place to connect with me are listed below.
- Every purchase of my patterns helps! It allows me to buy more yarn so I can create and design more Handmade Crocheted Creations for you to enjoy.
- I would LOVE to see your version of my designs! You can “Hook It” at my Ravelry Jo’s Crafty Hook Designs OR add a pic using the hashtag #nellieponcho or #joscraftyhook or #jo_bear38 or at anyone of the places below that allows you to connect with me! Comments, Feedback, etc. are ALWAYS welcome at my website www.joscraftyhook.com!
- If you would like to make a donation to Jo’s Crafty Hook and help me with the costs of running my website, crocheting new designs I would greatly appreciate it!